Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
Interested in a career in PA Education? Here's your chance to learn more!
The Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA) invites applications for the 2018-2019 Future Educator Fellowship. PA students will be selected to participate in this exciting year long fellowship, designed to explore foundations in teaching, expose students to the current educational environment, and expand professional development and leadership opportunities. Selected applicants will attend the kick off session at PAEA’s 2018 Education Forum in Anaheim, California. Fellows will participate in designated sessions at the Education Forum, and will be engaged in a year long program, working through educational programming, problems, and competencies designed to foster foundations in PA Education. Fellows will also be invited back for the culminating session at PAEA’s 2019 Education Forum in Washington, DC.
Applications are due July 13, 2018, by 5 p.m. ET.
Foundations in teaching and learning
As a future educator fellow, you learn about best practices in teaching and learning, particularly when it comes to dealing with adult learners. These competencies will be cultivated through in-person engagement, online learning, and mentoring.
Exposure to the current educational environment
Fellows will learn about the current PA educational landscape. This includes learning about the current political climate, research opportunities, growth within the profession, and future trends that will affect both the PA workforce and have implications on the educational space.
Leadership and professional development
Fellows will develop knowledge and skills necessary to become respected professionals in PA education. The fellowship will provide opportunities for networking, enhance leadership skills through effective communication, teaching excellence, high quality research, advocacy, and service to the profession and the community at large. They will also explore opportunities for interprofessional education and research, develop strategies for collaboration with peers and professionals that enhance the quality and design of PA education, and develop a network of PA students with a shared interest in academic careers in PA education.
Applications must include the following:
- A personal statement describing your interest in PA Education and what you hope to gain from the FEF experience, in 500 words or less.
- A response to the follow question: In your opinion, what is the single most important characteristic of a 21st century PA educator, and why? Consider the changing healthcare landscape, higher education trends, etc. This response must 1000 words on less.
- Resume/ CV
- Program Director Certification Form: This document is signed by your program director, and confirms your ability to participate in the fellowship.
- Faculty Mentor Form: This document is signed by a faculty mentor who you identify to help support your interest in PA education.
*Please note, your application is not complete until your Program Director Certification Form, and your Faculty Mentor Form are received!
Reviewers will consider each of the criteria below in the determination of scientific merit and give a separate score for each. In addition to submitting materials, fellows will be evaluated on:
- Resume demonstrates past experience in leadership and/or education
- Personal statement makes a connection to the fellowship goals and objectives
- Clear articulation of why the candidate would like to be selected as a fellow
- Materials demonstrate interest in a career in teaching
- Question response is thoughtful and demonstrates an understanding of the role of an educator
Current PA students who are enrolled (didactic or clinical) in good academic standing in a PAEA member program as of October 24, 2018 are eligible to apply. The program director must complete the certification form and agree that the student will be released from classes or rotations in order to attend the fellowship, including necessary travel time. If you are selected as a fellow, you are expected to attend the entire fellowship. Students should plan to arrive in time for the fellowship opening, on 3 p.m. Thursday, October 25, 2018, and schedule a departing flight no earlier than 4 p.m. on Saturday, October 27, 2018.
Women, minorities, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadlines & Timelines
- Deadline for applications: July 13, 2018, 5 p.m. ET
- Notification of selection: August 30, 2018
- PAEA’s 2018 Education Forum: October 26-27, 2018
- PAEA’s 2019 Education Forum: October 10-12, 2019